ParkinQuick and easy to make, this traditional Bonfire Night recipe is perfect with a cup of tea. Allow to mature for the best result.
110g soft butter
110g soft dark brown sugar
55g black treacle
200g golden syrup
225g medium oatmeal
110g self-raising flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground mixed spice
2 medium eggs, beaten
1 tbsp milk
Pinch of salt
Preheat the oven to
140C/120C fan/Gas Mark 1. Grease and line a 20cm x 20cm square cake tin.
2) In a pan, over a gentle heat, melt the butter, sugar, treacle and golden syrup. Don't allow the mixture to get too hot or bubble. When they have melted together remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
3) In a large mixing bowl sift in the dry ingredients and make a well in the centre. Gradually add the melted butter mixture and fold together. Pour in the beaten eggs and milk and combine.
4) Pour into your baking tin. Bake for approximately 1.5 hours.
5) Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 20 minutes. Tip onto a cake rack and leave to cool completely.
6) Store the parkin in a cake tin and wrap in greaseproof paper. You must keep it in a tin for a minimum of 1 day and up to a week before you cut it, for the best results.