Sweet and Sour ChickenA tasty take on this take-away special, using the freshest chicken from Didsbury’s Little Pigs butchers, for a guilt-free dinner with plenty of flavour.
200g boneless and skinless chicken fillets (cut into bite-size cubes)
1 tablespoon rice vinigar
1 green pepper (seeds removed and cut into squares)
1 spring onion (cut into 2-inch lengths)
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
Oil for frying
200g self-raising flour
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
3 tablespoons ketchup
3 tablespoons chilli sauce
1 teaspoon plum sauce
1/2 teaspoon Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce
3 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon corn flower
3 dashes white pepper powder
2 tablespoons oil
1) Cut the chicken breast meat into bite-size cubes and marinate with 1 tablespoon of wine for 10 minutes.
2) Mix the batter in a bowl and add the chicken cubes into the batter. Mix the sweet and sour sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
3) Heat up the cooking oil in a wok and deep fry the chicken cubes. (Shake off the extra batter before frying).
4) Transfer the chicken out on a plate, lined with paper towels to soak up the excess oil. Transfer the cooking oil out and leave only 2 tablespoons of oil in the wok.
5) Add garlic and sauté until light brown, before then adding the green peppers. Stir-fry until you smell the aroma.