Strawberry ShortcakesThe hardest part of this dish is not eating every single one of them! A perfect way to kick start the summertime with this classic combination of biscuit and fresh strawberries.
You will need 1 baking tray lined with non-stick baking parchment.
Ingredients for the shortbread biscuits:
125g unsalted butter
60g caster sugar
170g plain flour
20g corn flour
Extra caster sugar for sprinkling
For the Chantilly cream filling:
300ml double cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla paste
1) Make the shortbread biscuits first. Cream together the butter and caster sugar using a mixer until smooth.
2) Stir in the flours until a smooth paste has formed. Use your hands to bind it together.
3) Tip the dough out on a dusted surface and roll out to about 4mm thick.
4) Cut out 20 6cm rounds using a cutter and place them on the prepared baking tray.
5) Reroll the dough until it is all used up. You might have some spare biscuits.
6) Sprinkle al the biscuits with a light dusting of caster sugar.
7) Place all the biscuits in the fridge for an hour to chill.
8) Preheat the oven to 180c fan/200c.
9) Bake the biscuits for 10 – 12 minutes until pale golden brown.
10) Place them on a wire cooling rack when baked.
11) Make the Chantilly cream next. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until just stiff peaks.
12) Place in a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
13) Take the strawberries and remove the stalks. Keep 12 whole ones on one side and slice the rest into 3mm thick slices.
14) To assemble the shortbreads take a single biscuit and lay some strawberry slices in a circle on it leaving a gap in the centre.
15) Next pipe a star of cream on the strawberries then place a biscuit on top and press down gently
16) Pipe a star of cream on the top then top off with a whole strawberry.