Spiced Pear and Pumpkin PieA perfect pick me up for autumnal family gatherings, this tasty pie shows that pumpkins aren’t just for Halloween.
200g pumpkin, peeled, de-seeded, steamed and pureed
3 conference pears, peeled, cored, steamed and pureed
30g dark brown soft sugar
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
30ml maple syrup
300ml whipping cream
1 tsp plain flour
3 free-range eggs
1 x 12” unbaked shortcrust pastry case
1) Preheat oven to 170°C
2) Line a 12” flan ring or dish with shortcrust pastry and set to one side.
3) Combine the eggs, cream, maple syrup, all the dried spices and soft brown sugar together. Mix well and strain into a pouring jug.
4) When the pureed pumpkin and pear is cold combine these together with the plain flour then combine with the spiced egg custard mixture and mix well.
5) Pour the mixture into the pastry case and bake at 170°C for 30 minutes or until the centre is set.
6) Serve the pie warm with vanilla ice cream.