Roast Topside of BeefA simple way to cook this delicious cut of meat, from the Didsbury butchers at Little Pigs - making sure it is packed full of flavour for life’s special events.
1.5 kg topside of beef
1-2 tbsp English mustard (optional)
Salt to season
Black pepper to season
2 sticks of celery
1 large carrot
1 large onion
300ml red wine (optional)
1) In a medium sized roasting tray, make a bed of roots using the celery, carrots and onions and pour in the red wine.
2) Rub the meat with salt and then spread a thin layer of mustard over the fat (optional).
3) Heat the oven to 220C and roast the beef for 30 minutes, until it's just browned to the outside.
4) Turn the heat down to 180-190°C and roast it on the basis of 20 minutes per 450g for rare, 25 minutes per 450g for medium and 30 minutes per 450g for well-done, not forgetting to occasionally baste the beef with the wine.
5) Leave the roast beef to rest for approximately 10/15 minutes before carving, whilst you make your gravy with the roasted beef juices.