Pork steak with Cider and Caramelised OnionsA winning combination of sweet caramelised onions and cider, with expertly prepared pork steaks from Little Pigs butchers, for a delicious meal that’s quick to make.
4 pork steaks
1 tbsp sunflower oil
2 small onions, thinly sliced
2 tsp plain flour
2 tsp Dijon mustard
300ml dry cider
2 sprigs fresh thyme
225g steamed green beans, to serve
Fresh thyme leaves, to garnish
1) Season the pork steaks with freshly ground black pepper. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and add the steaks.
2) Cook over a high heat for 2-3 mins on each side until well browned.
3) Reduce the heat and add the sliced onions to the pan. Cook for 10-12 mins until the onions are tender and caramelised and the steaks are cooked through.
4) Remove the steaks, cover and keep warm.
5) Stir the flour and mustard into the onions and cook for 1 min, then gradually add the cider.
6) Bring to the boil and add the thyme sprigs. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 4-5 mins until the sauce has thickened. Remove the thyme sprigs and season to taste.
7) Serve the steaks on the green beans. Top with the onions and sauce and garnish with more ground black pepper and a few fresh thyme leaves.