Pistachio and Raspberry SlicesAn unusual combination of flavours that really works! Try mixing these sweet and savoury ingredients to create these eye catching slices, with cream to finish.
You will need a 20cm x 30cm tray bake tin lined with non-stick silicone coated baking parchment.
For the pistachio sponge:
130g plain flour
180g caster sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
½ tsp fine salt
120ml corn oil
8 medium eggs
Finely grated zest 1 lemon
2 teaspoons vanilla paste
½ teaspoon cream of tartar powder
140g finely ground pistachio kernals
For the pomegranate cream:
250ml double cream
2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
For the pistachio brittle:
150g white granulated sugar
1 tbsp water
40g pistachio kernels roughly chopped
1) Preheat the oven to 160°C fan/180°C
2) Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
3) In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the egg yolks and caster sugar until light and frothy.
4) Add the corn oil and whisk again briefly until mixed.
5) Next add the plain flour, salt, baking powder, lemon zest, vanilla paste and ground pistachios. Mix again until just mixed.
6) Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl with the cream of tartar powder until stiff peaks are achieved.
7) Fold the egg whites into the cake mix until just incorporated.
8) Place the mix into the prepared tin and smooth with a spatula.
9) Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven for 25 - 30 minutes until a skewer placed in the centre comes out clean and the centre of the cake feels firm.
10) When baked remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
11) Make the cream next. In a clean mixing bowl whisk the cream with the pomegranate molasses until soft peaks and place in a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
12) Make the pistachio brittle next. Roughly chop the pistachio kernels. Place the sugar and water in a pan and place on a high heat until the sugar has melted.
13) Stir in the chopped pistachios and keep on the high heat until an amber colour is achieved. Pour the mixture onto a piece of non-stick baking parchment on a baking tray and leave to cool.
14) Take the sponge and slice into 10 equal sized slices.
15) Pipe a row of cream on the top of each one and decorate with pieces of the pistachio brittle and raspberries.