Indian Fishcakes with Spicy Green Chutney
A quick and easy recipe using Creamline’s cod loins. These fishcakes are packed full of flavour, served with a punchy chutney. As versatile as they are delicious, you can create this family favourite dish using either freshly cooked or leftover fish, making sure nothing goes to waste.
For the Fishcakes:
360g of Cod Loin
Juice of 1 lemon
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 fresh green chilli, freshly minced
½ teaspoon of garam masala
2 slices of soaked white bread, crusts removed and water squeezed out
A handful of fresh, chopped coriander leaves
A few sprigs of dill, chopped
Vegetable oil for frying
2 tablespoons of plain flour
For the Chutney:
2 good handfuls of coriander leaves, stalks chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 fresh chillies
1.25cm of ginger, scraped and chopped
Handful of chopped mint leaves
1 small, peeled onion
A good squeeze of lemon juice
Salt to taste
1. As the loin is so fresh, the fish can be placed in an oven for 6 minutes at 180 degrees. No need for oil or seasoning. Then flake the fish and pat dry.
2. Mix dry fish with lemon juice and leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
3. Heat a frying pan and add the cumin seeds. Dry fry on a high heat. Fry until they change colour, then transfer to a mortar pestle or a blender and grind.
4. Add the crushed cumin, chilli and garam masala to the fish and season with salt.
5. Crumble the bread into a bowl with the dill and fish. Divide into 8 equal sized balls and flatten.
6. Heat oil in a large frying pan until hot. Then dust the fishcakes in flour and fry for 4 minutes on each side until golden.
7. Finally, drain on kitchen paper and serve with the chutney.
1. Using a blender put the coriander, chillies, garlic, ginger, mint, onion, and a little water and blitz to form a fine paste.
2. Season to taste with salt and lemon juice. Store in an air tight container for up to 3 days.