Chicken and Avocado ArepasLet this savoury breakfast recipe take your taste buds for a tango, as you go on a culinary journey to the vibrant continent of Latin America!
· 500g of pulled chicken
· 1 avocado
· 1/2 onion
· handful of fresh coriander
· 1 tbsp of mayonnaise
· 1 tsp of French mustard
· salt and black pepper to taste
· 1 lime
· 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1. Dice the onion, avocado and coriander and place in a bowl, add the pulled chicken, mayonnaise, mustard, lime, olive oil, salt and black pepper.
2. Mix everything very well as to break the avocado slightly and the mix becomes creamy.
For the arepas:
· 590ml milk
· 60g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
· 185g white maize flour
· 1 1/2 tsp salt
· 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
· 65g cream cheese
· Vegetable oil
1. Bring milk to a simmer in a small saucepan, then remove from heat and stir in butter.
2. Combine white maize flour, salt, pepper and cream cheese in a large bowl. Add the hot milk and stir until combined. Let mixture stand until milk is absorbed enough for a soft dough to form, 1 to 2 mins (dough will continue to stiffen).
3. Form the dough into 12 balls (about 5cm in diameter) and flatten between palms into 10cm patties (just under 1cm thick).
4. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat until the oil begins to shimmer, fry 4 arepas at a time, until lightly golden brown on both sides and just cooked through, about 2 to 3 mins per side; transfer to a baking sheet lined with baking paper
5. Slice the arepas in half crosswise and sandwich together with the chicken and avocado filling and serve.