Blueberry Bakewell Tart SquaresA British teatime classic, with a twist! Try this blueberry bakewell tart for the ultimate sweet treat, which almost looks too good to eat.
Makes about 30.
You will need a 20cm x 30cm tray bake tin lined with non-stick silicone coated baking parchment.
250g shortcrust pastry
For the filling:
3 tbsp blueberry jam
190g soft unsalted butter
190g caster sugar
3 medium eggs
60g plain flour
Zest 1 lemon
190g ground almonds
1 tsp almond ess
30g icing sugar
1) Preheat the oven to 160°C fan/180°C
2) Roll out the pastry to a rectangle just bigger than the tin.
3) Using the tin as a guide, trim the pastry to a rectangle to fit neatly in the bottom of the tin. Note the pastry doesn’t come up the sides of the tin.
4) Place in the fridge whilst you make the filling.
5) Cream together the butter and sugar until just creamed with a whisk. You don’t want it too pale with too much air.
6) Add the remaining ingredients except the blueberry jam and mix until well combined then place in a disposable piping bag.
7) Take the tin with the pastry and spread the blueberry jam evenly over the pastry leaving the outer 1cm around the edge uncoated.
8) Take the piping bag with the filling and snip the end to give you a hole about 1cm in diameter. Pipe a quantity of the mixture evenly around the edge first then cover the jam.
9) Smooth it out using the back of a spoon.
10) Bake in the centre of the oven for 35 – 40 minutes until golden and it feels firm in the centre when gently pressed.
11) When ready place on a cooling rack and let cool in the tin.
12) Cut into squares with a large smooth sharp knife and decorate each piece with a little icing sugar and some blueberries.
13) Will keep in an airtight box for up to 5 days.