Bacon and Tomato Soda BreadPerfect for when you want bread in a hurry, try this easy no –fuss recipe, with bacon and tomato for added flavour!
4 slices bacon, chopped
4 spring onions, sliced
100g (4 oz) tomatoes, halved
450g (1 lb) plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4
2) Fry the bacon, spring onions and tomatoes for 3-4 minutes and allow to cool.
3) Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and 1 teaspoon of salt in a large bowl. Mix in the bacon mixture.
4) Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk. Using your hands lightly knead to form a dough which should be soft but not sticky.
5) Mould into a large round loaf & place on a lightly greased baking tray and make a cross in the top with a knife.
6) Bake for 30 minutes until golden and sounding hollow when tapped on the base.
7) Slice and serve with ham or cheese.