Apple Sponge PuddingA perfect alternative to a traditional apple crumble, this delicious sponge pudding is a real crowd pleaser! Serve with ice cream or custard to complete the dish.
- 450g (1lb) Cooking apples, cored, peeled and sliced
- 110g (4oz) Caster sugar
- 1 small orange, grated zest and juice
- 50g (2oz) Butter
- 75g (3oz) Self-raising flour
- 1 Egg
1) Preheat the oven to 180°/Gas 4.
2) Put the sliced apples into an oven ovenproof pie dish. Sprinkle over half the sugar and half the orange juice and then bake for 10 minutes.
3) Put the remaining sugar with the orange zest, butter, flour and egg into a bowl and beat together with a hand-held electric mixer or wooden spoon until smooth.
4) Gradually beat in the remaining orange juice, being careful not to over mix or the topping may split.
5) Flatten the partially cooked fruit slightly with the back of a spoon, then spoon the sponge mixture over the top and spread into an even layer.
6) Bake for 25-30 minutes until the topping is well risen and golden and springs back when pressed with a fingertip.
7) Dust with icing sugar and serve with ice cream or custard.