Apple & Cinnamon StrudelThese exquisite Austrian apple and cinnamon strudels look, taste and smell like they have come fresh from a Viennese patisserie.
· 7g dried yeast
· 1 tablespoon caster sugar
· 125ml warm milk
· 225g plain flour
· Pinch of salt
· 1 egg, lightly whisked
· 100g butter, chopped, softened slightly
· 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, finely chopped
· 90g sultanas
· 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
· 50g butter, softened, extra
· 100g brown sugar
· 150g icing sugar mixture
· 1 tablespoon milk, extra
1. Combine yeast, caster sugar and milk in a bowl. Set aside in a warm place for 5 minutes or until foaming.
2. Place the flour and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the milk mixture and egg and use a round-bladed knife to stir until combined. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead for 2-3 minutes or until smooth.
3. Roll dough out to form a 20 x 30cm rectangle. Dot the butter over two-thirds of the dough. Fold dough into thirds to enclose the butter. Turn dough clockwise 90 degrees. Roll dough into a 20 x 30cm rectangle. Repeat folding, turning and rolling. Fold into thirds. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for 15 minutes to rest.
4. Continue this rolling and folding process 2 more times. Cover and rest in fridge for 15 minutes. Continue process one more time. Cover with cling film and place in fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
5. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Combine the apple, sultanas and cinnamon in a bowl. Combine the extra butter and brown sugar in a bowl. Roll the dough into a 25 x 35cm rectangle. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the dough. Sprinkle with the apple mixture. Starting at a long end, roll dough Swiss-roll style to form a log. Use a small, sharp knife to cut log widthways at 2.5cm intervals into 12 discs.
6. Place discs, cut-side down, on the lined tray, leaving room for spreading. Set aside in a warm place for 15 minutes to rise. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside on the tray to cool.
7. Combine the icing sugar and milk in a small bowl to make a smooth paste. Place in a piping bag. Snip the end and drizzle evenly over the pastries. Set aside for 15 minutes to set and serve.