A treat you’ll love this Wimbledon!
As we head into July that only means one thing – Wimbledon is once again upon us! There’s only one snack to be had whether you’re courtside or enjoying from home; strawberries and cream of course. In fact, a huge 142,000 portions of the fruit are served at each tournament over the two weeks.
With the spirit of The Championships in mind, we’re running through a few more little-known facts about the world’s oldest tennis tournament:
- Strawberries aren’t the only thing on the menu! 235,000 glasses of Pimm’s and 28,000 bottles of champagne are enjoyed across the two weeks.
- The fastest serve ever was awarded to US player Taylor Dent at 148mph back in 2010.
- Only seven championships made it through to the end without a single pause of play due to rain!
- Pigeons are scarce at the tournament for a reason – Rufus the resident hawk keeps a close eye on proceedings to deter any pests.
- Wimbledon’s all white dress code is famous – but did you know why? Back when the tournament started in the 1800s, visible sweat patches were considered inappropriate!
Backing British this July
Naturally we’ll be supporting British hopefuls Johanna Konta and Kyle Edmund at this year’s Wimbledon, but our love of local goes beyond tennis! We’ve sourced freshly picked strawberries from Manchester’s Smithfield Market along with locally-sourced delicious single cream to bring you the iconic summer duo this July.